Here I will attempt to intelligently and constructively commentate on my favorite movies of all time. We'll see how it goes...
Thursday, December 9, 2010
First Entry: Review of "Ghostbusters"
What is there really to say about this great American film classic? If you have yet to see this great flick from 1984, then you need to pull yourself out of the rock that you live under, and get with the times. Go directly to the nearest video renting store, Red Box, or Netflix and rent "Ghostbusters" immediately.
This movie revolves around three main characters (and eventually a fourth comes into it): Dr. Peter Venkman, Dr. Egon Spengler, and Dr. Ray Stantz (the fourth is Winston Zeddmore, played by the hilarious Ernie Hudson), played by Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Dan Aykroyd, respectively. This is the creme de la creme of Saturday Night Live fame, and just, in general, a powerhouse group of A-List comedy actors. Anyway, these characters decide to go into the ghostbusting business, hence the title of the flick "Ghostbusters." Basically, they make a living off of capturing the ghosts that haunt various houses and stores etc. in New York City. This paranormal activity culminates in an epic battle against an ancient Sumerian god, Gozer, bent on destroying the world. It is up to the Ghostbusters to take out this evil entity, and they do eventually, as good always triumphs over evil.
A supporting cast consisting of Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis and Annie Potts rounds out this awesome and hilarious cast.
There are some brilliant and absolutely hilarious lines in this movie that are so memorable that I could mention them in passing conversations even today. The following will be a list of some of my favorites:
"Ray, if someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!" ~ Winston Zeddmore
"Let's show this prehistoric b***h how we do things downtown." ~ Peter Venkman
"I'm Winston Zeddmore, Your Honor. I've only been with the company for a couple of weeks, but these things are real. Since I joined these men, I've seen s**t that'll turn you white." ~ Winston Zeddmore
"The superintendent's gonna be pissed!" ~ Louis Tully
Like I said, these are really only a few of the memorable quotes from this movie. What really makes this movie thought? Definitely the humor, after all, laughter is the best medicine. Also, I think that it's because it's a plot that movies had yet to see before. Sure, we've seen the Jason movies, or the Michael Myers movies, but we had yet to see a really good horror comedy movie. I honestly think that it's movies like this that paved the way for the modern classics such as Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland.
Ghostbusters was followed up with a sequel, which in my opinion was definitely not as good as the original. There is talk of a third movie being considered with all the original ghostbusters in it. Not much of the plot is known, but I honestly can't wait to see how it goes. Even though sequels are generally not as good as the original, if you really liked the original, then you have to give the follow ups a chance at least once.
Well, it is REALLY late, and I am fading fast, so I will leave this review as it is for right now. I'll be back later with more thoughts on movies. In the meantime, happy ghostbusting!
~ Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I couldnt help but actually read this since im always up this early in the morning, and you appear to be going to bed.
ReplyDeleteAnother good fact about this series is that they stick to a timeline and make things in pseudo real time. By this i mean that Ghostbuster 1 was put out in 1984, and took place in 1984, they didnt make it future based or past based, and Ghostbusters 2 states in the very beginning a very nice "5 Years Laters" in reality actually being released 5 years later.
Ghostbusters 3 is rumoured for 2012, staring almost the entire original cast except for Rick Moranis, i believe he has officially retired from acting. The generally known plot of the movie is supposed to be that the Ghostbuster team is retired or retiring and must hand the business down to a new team ... which is rumored to include Anna Faris and Eilza Dushku.
which could potentially return the series to the spotlight and start it up all over again, or provide a solid ending to what was an actually very good series. Lets hope it turns out at least near as good as the original.