Monday, December 13, 2010

Second Entry: Review of "Strange Brew"



Ah yes, "Strange Brew." This is a quintessential movie that any Canadian (and really American) should watch. As a descendant of crazy French Canadians, this came recommended for me to watch from my MOTHER, of all people. Now, I honestly haven't watched this movie in awhile so bear with me as I attempt to give a review.

Basically, this movie is about two brothers, Bob (Rick Moranis) and Doug MacKenzie (Dave Thomas). They love beer. Period. So, they eventually start working at the Elsinore Brewery where they discover a diabolical plot. The brewmeister (played by "old priest" Exorcist Max Von Sydow) is drugging the beer so that he can control people's minds! As any Canadian Evil Mastermind Brewmeister should, he tests it on hockey players! The brothers work together with the heiress of the brewery to foil the plot, and get back control of the brewery. There is lots of hockey, beer, hosers, and shenanigans throughout this whole movie, and I laugh hysterically every time I watch it.

I think my favorite scene is where Rick Moranis' character, Doug MacKenzie, (or was it him?) gets trapped in this huge vat of beer, and he drinks his way out of drowning! Brilliant!

Then, of course, an honorable mention goes to the scenes involving the tests on the hockey players.

And now for some memorable funny lines from the movie!

"If I didn't have puke breath, I'd kiss you!" ~ Bob MacKenzie

"I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!" ~ Bob MacKenzie

"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers!" ~ Doug MacKenzie

"He saw Jedi 17 times, eh!" ~ Bob MacKenzie

Those are only a few hilarious lines from the movie. "Strange Brew" is still an essential, classic movie that everyone should watch at least once in their lifetime. It's where they really made "eh's" and "hosers" a stereotypical Canadian staple. So, you should definitely go out there, rent it or buy it, doesn't matter, and watch it! And laugh!

Well, that's it for me, for now. I actually used this as a procrastination technique for a take home final exam that's due later today. I should probably get back to that... Anyway, I hope I've convinced you to watch this movie, and enjoy it!

I was having a hard time trying to come up with my next movie to review, but I've figured it out. In keeping to this whole Canada/hockey theme, I'm going to talk about "Slap Shot" next time. Oh boy, that is a beaut!

In the meantime, happy beer drinking, you hosers!

No comments:

Post a Comment